The 2018 Miss England Sportsround was held at Resorts World Birmingham close to the NEC site in Birmingham .
Katy Van Hemelryk – Miss Cheltenham won the fittness contest and the all important place in the Miss England top 20 .
At the end of the contest the reigning Miss World “Manushi Chillar” surprised the Miss England and did a charity presentation to fund the Mid Derbyshire Riding school for the disabled with funds raised by the Miss England contestants .
Check out the video from the Miss England Sportsround ;
A better way for relaxing
7 months ago
“How much time do you spend rushing around? Whether it’s before work, before a night out….Even just to finish work on time. It’s something I know I do alot and a resolution of mine this year is to slow down and stop a little more.
Yoga forces you to be still and focus on yourself. I hope you get time to find just 10 minutes today to do that ❤
What’s a resolution of yours this year?”
Overcoming the January Blues
7 months ago
“Who else is dreaming of summer?
Here are my top tips for overcoming the January blues…
Get outside in the fresh air as much as possible.
Light candles when you’re at home..
Plan fun nights out, have friends round for movie nights etc…
Cook hearty warming foods full of nutrients such as curries, chilli’s and veggie shepherd’s pies.
Take vitamin d supplement
Drink more water.
Grab the bubble bath and have a long hot bath.
Exercise, it releases endorphins and will make you feel happier.”
How to calm yourself from Stress
7 months ago
If you’re feeling a little stressed this week, yoga can be a great way to de-stress, improve circulation and flexibility. If you don’t have time to make it to a class, why not try an at home YouTube video (there’s heaps out there) or an app for meditation. It’s a small thing but it can make a really big difference to how you feel.
How to Start or Get Back Into Running
8 months ago
My top tips for getting into running:
1. Plot out your route in GB mapometer. It’s a great tool that shows a map and allows you to drag a pin wherever you want and workout the miles.
2. Use a pace app like Run Keeper to help you stay on track with your speed and ensure your running at the right pace.
3. Warm up and cool down and no I don’t mean a quick Hamstring stretch and off ya go. Spend a good 10/15 mins either side of your run getting your body mobile and you’ll prevent injury and improve your performance.
4. Don’t worry about people seeing you.
Initially I didn’t want to run incase someone saw me walking and I’d feel embarrassed. Firstly, no one cares. I mean no one. Secondly it spurs you to run faster past people.
5. Consider trying a couch to 5k programme or app to give you some guidance. If you’re really unfit try splitting up your run and walk e.g. 30s run 4min walk (or whatever timings work for you) each week, make the run longer and the rest shorter.
6. Find your breathing rhythm. It sounds weird but remember to breathe and find a rhythm that works for you I don’t know how to explain it but you’ll know what I mean when you start.
7. Take a friend! I ran with a friend yesterday and it was a great chance to catch up, have a chat and get some exercise in. You’re also less likely to stop too 👌🏽
7. Enjoy it! Feel that sun on your face, breathe in the fresh air and take pleasure in using your legs to run! So many people can’t and would give anything to. Don’t take it for granted ❤
Quick & Easy, Healthy Breakfast
8 months ago
If you’re in need of a quick and easy, healthy breakfast, I’ve got the perfect recipe for you!
Try adding half a pot of greek yoghurt (or alpro if you don’t eat dairy) with some mixed nuts, fresh fruit and my favourite addition…bee pollen.
Bee pollen is packed full of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and anti-oxidants. You can purchase it at most health food shops.
You Can Overcome Anything
9 months ago
‘The reward is always worth the effort’
What motivates me to exercise when I don’t feel like it? Especially in this colder weather…? The feeling of endorphins once I’ve finished. The satisfaction of knowing I worked hard, overcame an obstacle and did something I wasn’t sure I could do.
Exercise can be an incredible way to train your brain into doing things you never thought possible. You can then apply that to anything life throws at you.
It gives you the confidence to go ahead with anything that scares you. To say, “I’ve achieved things in the past I never thought I would, I know because of that, I can face whatever is in front of me now.”
I hiked to the top of The Griffith Observatory and this was my view. Totally worth it and I thought it represented my message for you all today really well 😊
What event or problem have you overcome in life that reminds you you can achieve anything?
Staying Motivated During Winter
10 months ago
It’s getting to that time of year when we start thinking about our health and deciding to make a positive change. With that in mind, I wanted to share my top tips on how to do this.
- Create a plan of action and write it down. Come up with some healthy recipes you’re going to follow, decided how many times a week you’re going to exercise and what kind of thing you’re going to do. A goal without a plan is just a wish.
- Find your support system. It’s tough to go it alone, most people need someone going through it with them or a coach to hold them accountable. Maybe it’s your family who will get behind you and cheer you on. Either way, it’ll be much easier knowing you’ve got help to call upon when it gets tough.
- Be patient. There is no magic pill or quick fix if you’re looking for LASTING weight-loss, health and fitness. These things take time. It’s the small consistent changes you make that will have the biggest impact.
- Find the fun. If you don’t enjoy spending an hour on the treadmill…don’t do it! There are so many different forms of exercise out there, from group classes to outdoor activities. Find what you enjoy and do that.
- Batch make healthy meals for the week. Make your weeknights a little easier by batch making a healthy curry, chilli or shepherds pie using lean cuts of meat or beans & lentils. Try swapping white potatoes for sweet potatoes on your shepherds pie too!
- Pack your gym bag and set out your clothes the night before. It’s easy to jump out of bed when the sun is already shining but not so easy when it’s still dark. Packing your clothes the night before gives you 5 more minutes in bed before getting up and exercising.
- Move. Burn calories through everyday movements such as increasing your steps for the day as well as working out. The more you move the more calories you burn. Take the stairs not the lift, get off one stop early on the bus etc.
- Work hard. Nothing worth having comes easy and it’ll happen a lot quicker if you work hard. Push yourself during workouts, you know your own limits and whether you could be working harder. Challenge yourself. That’s when you’ll grow as a person and see changes to your body.
Good luck and if you need any help or have any questions, please send me an…
email: [email protected]
Follow me on Instagram: @katyvanhem
My website: zest24.com
Get to Know Miss Sportswoman
10 months ago
This is my first post as the current Miss England Sportswoman. I’m still so chuffed to have won and not sure it’ll ever sink in! My trophy stands proudly in my living room!
So as it’s my first post I thought you might like to get to know me a little better…with that being said, here are some fun facts about me:
- I’m a qualified personal trainer
- I’m the current Miss Cheltenham
- I’m 26 (one of the oldest Miss England title holders!)
- I have a British Shorthair cat called Dave
- I own a company called Zest24 that runs bootcamps and 1-2-1 coaching… www.zest24.com for more info
- I recently went on ITV’s Ninja Warrior (airing in 2019)
- I use to be 2.5st heavier
- I’m qualified as a primary school teacher at university
- I love helping people to change their lives and improve their health and fitness. It is such a passion of mine.
- I have my own YouTube channel… where I share health and fitness tips and videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMXsAcl21sLsnz-2AEdkTMg/featured?view_as=subscriber
- I recently took up gymnastics and rock climbing and LOVE it
- I love to push myself and my body and raise money for charity, so far I’ve run a half marathon, completed a 3hr swimatthon and walked over hot coals for various charities. What should my next challenge be?
- I have a massive sweet tooth, chocolate being my fav (I might be a PT but I’m a big advocate of balance).
- I love being by/in the sea (preferably in a hot country).
- I want to inspire more people to live a healthy lifestyle. If you have any ideas or suggestions, please fire away 🙂
Hopefully you’ve got to know me a little better. Please check in again as I’ll be posting here regularly.
Health and positive vibes,
Miss England Sportsround featured in the Times Magazine
11 months ago
The feature was a 5 page feature with Front cover of the Times magazine – Katy the winner of the Sportsround can be seen on the left of the group picture after winning the contest !
Katy Van Hemelryk is the current Sportswoman
Katy is the reigning Miss Cheltenham and won the Miss England Sportswoman award at Resorts World Birmingham in July 2018. This fast tracked Katy to the top 20 in the Grand final of Miss England and she will now be posting on this page to keep you motivated !
Interesting things about Katy are ;
Katy is a qualified personal trainer
The current Miss Cheltenham
Aged 26 (one of the oldest Miss England title holders!)
Katy has a British Shorthair cat called Dave
Katy owns a company called Zest24 that runs bootcamps and 1-2-1 coaching… www.zest24.com for more info