THOUGHTS OF THE DAY!
From Professor Rashid Gatrad OBE
(Pictured at Miss England 2022)
But we are producing large quantities since the industrial revolution making our world so far 1.23 degrees warmer over the last 100 years.
There are 6 Greenhouse gases:
Carbon dioxide over 80%
Mehane 10% – mostly from agriculture.
Oxides of Nitrogen
Other gases such as those in asthma inhalers and refrigeration in industry. These are 1000s of time more powerful than Carbon dioxide.
- If the world gets to just an increase of 2 degrees, 2 bn people’s lives and livelihood will be affected by climate change impacts that is quarter of the world population including the UK.
- Check climate change impacts out on www.profeessorgatrad.com/youtubeAt an increase of 5% civilisation as we know it wont exist.
- The production of carbon was steady before the industrial revolution. But over the last 100 years it has risen exponentially.
- The polluting gases in the atmosphere are slightly different to greenhouse gases:They areNitrogen dioxideCarbon monoxideSulpher dioxideLower level ozone.
- Lower level Ozone – this is different from that in the stratosphere where there is a hole in the layer which is being repaired because globally less CFC gases are emitted. This lower-level ozone is produced by photo-oxidation of oxides of nitrogen and volatile organic hydrocarbons – released from motor vehicles and industry.
- In air pollution is dangerous particulate matter that is 2.5 microns. Particulate matter less than 2.5 microns can travel thousands of miles so what is happening in Europe can affect the UK. When inhaled it reaches all parts of the body including lungs, brain liver heart and pancreas. Giving heart attacks strokes, cancers, and diabetes. It also crosses the placenta affecting the new-born baby. Many miscarriages occur as a result of this.
- As things are, plastic production will have doubled by 2050, and there will be more single use plastic in the oceans than fish.
- 6% of Greenhouse gases are produced in the production of plastic. So plastic is indirectly as good as burning fossil fuels.
- Bees are very important in the production of our crops. No bees, no seeds – no food. The bee population globally has fallen by 37% largely as a result of expansion of agricultural land.
- Only 3 % of water in the world is fresh water – there is no more, as it is cycled through the atmosphere. So, we need to use it wisely as in 10 years’ time there will be a severe water shortage in the UK that will last throughout the year in some places.10 All the plastic that has ever been produced is still around because it takes hundreds of years for it to disintegrate.
- The fashion industry produced 15% green house gases and uses up 1.5 trillion litres of water per year.
- Eating one beefburger daily for a year has the same carbon footprint as travelling for London to Madrid and back!
- One asthma inhaler has the same carbon foot print as a Toyota travelling 200 miles on petrol!!
Support Wasupme and be kinder to the planet we live !